Specialist Induction Training
Care of the individual with a spinal injury
ORIGIN has designed this highly focused and job specific induction training course so new care staff
(known as personal assistants/PAs) can understand the unique role and challenges of being a PA for
someone with a spinal injury, and to equip them with the skills and confidence necessary to meet the
expectations of our clients.
All new applicants attend our free*, bespoke training course in spinal injury care. The specialist
training course, Care of the Individual with a Spinal Injury, provides new carers with all the
necessary skills and assesses the knowledge and understanding of each participant. It is considered
the leading course of its kind in the UK.
Participants find the course’s practical and hands-on format informative, friendly and fun – with many
commenting on how useful and valuable it has been as they begin work placements. Similarly, we are
pleased to say that ORIGIN clients are confident the course gives new care staff an in-depth
understanding of spinal injury, the role of PA, the client/PA relationship and the range of practical
No previous experience or formal qualifications are required but it is important that you take an active
part in the learning opportunities presented by the course to get the maximum benefit.
2019 Course Dates – please indicate on your application which course you would like to attend.
21st – 25th January 2019
11th – 15th February 2019
11th – 15th March 2019
8th – 12th April 2019
13th – 17th May 2019
10th – 14th June 2019
If you have any recruitment/training queries, please call John Hardy on: Tel: 020 7617 7894
The CARE OF THE INDIVIDUAL WITH A SPINAL INJURY course includes:
- Understand Your Role – agreed ways of working.
- Management of Medication – correct handling of medication, completion of MAR charts, recognising and reporting changes to the individual, legislation.
- Anatomy and Physiology of the Spine -introduction to the vertebral column and spinal cord. Examples of common causes of spinal injury and explanation on how different injury levels effect paralysis
- Duty of Care and Person Centred Values –promoting wellbeing, supporting independence, managing difficult situations.
- Privacy and Dignity – privacy of information, confidentiality, supporting active participation.
- Understanding the Risks Associated with Immobility – discussion of medical complications including, breathing, pneumonia, blood clots, spasm, autonomic dysreflexia, pressure sores, neurogenic pain, bladder and bowel functions and effects on sexual function.
- Bowel Management – covering manual evacuation, digital stimulation, removal of faeces and trans-anal irrigation- using a medical mannequin. Effects of diet and lifestyle. Hygiene best practice.
- Safeguarding – code of conduct, responding to abuse or neglect, information sharing and confidentiality.
- Urinary Management – discussion of bladder function and associated complications. Bladder management options including supra-pubic and urethral catheters, drainage condom and leg bags. Drainage condom application procedure using a medical mannequin.catheters and catheter care.
- Infection Prevention and Control – the chain of infection, hand hygiene, identifying hazards.
- Health and Safety – working safely and securely, risk assessment, legislation.
- Manual handling – practical and safe specialist spinal injury client moving & handling procedures, risk assessment and TECHNIQUES. Manual handling operations regulations, health and safety law. Equipment – use of hoists, sliding boards and slings. Standing frames.
- Fluids, Nutrition and Food Safety – hydration, food hygiene practices, cleaning, cooking, storage, cross contamination, use by dates.
- First Aid – burns, bleeds, shock, CPR, recovery position.
- A Day in the Life – dressing, undressing, washing, teeth brushing and shaving. Domestic and social care.
This professional training course is delivered and certificated by LMC and is aligned with the
* the course and your accommodation during attendance is free if you remain available to work with ORIGIN for at least 4 months.